The latest BIM 360 Document Update delivers these highly-requested document control and collaboration capabilities:
- Additional permission level, “View Only,” that allows viewing but not downloading
- New permission management user experience
- Support for file locking and unlocking in Desktop Connector
Introducing the New “View Only” Permission
We have added a new permission level to BIM 360. The new “View Only” permission provides greater control over project documents by allowing viewing while restricting the ability to download and use outside of the project collaboration environment.
Permissions now available in BIM 360 Document Management:
- View only (New!)
- View/Download (previously known as “View” or “View Only”)
- Upload only
- View/Download + Upload
- View/Download + Upload + Edit
- Folder Control
New Permission Management User Experience
We have also completely redesigned the user experience for managing folder permissions. This design provides greater visibility and control over the permissions granted to individual team members, roles, and companies. The features and benefits of this new design:
- “Flyout” menu – this provides the ability to set folder permissions while maintaining visibility into the folder contents.
- Expand Role and Company permission settings – provides the ability to see the individual users that have been granted permissions via Role and Company settings
- Filtering and sorting – provides the ability to view by permission level or type (user / role / company) to more easily review the permissions granted.
- Search – provides the ability to search for an individual user and review the permissions that have been assigned.
Improved Collaboration with Desktop Connector File Locking
We have added support for file locking and unlocking in Desktop Connector. This provides greater support for collaborative workflows using desktop applications such as AutoCAD and other authoring apps. Now desktop users can be confident in the status of documents managed in BIM 360 and can lock and unlock files while editing and saving a new version. Desktop users can also see the current locking status of a file (if it is locked and the user who locked it).
Version 184.108.40.2068 of Desktop Connector is now available and can be downloaded from this page.