Change is happening constantly in construction. Whether it is tracking newly created issues, adding new subcontractors to a project, or finding the most current versions of drawings, staying up to speed on all of these updates can be challenging.
We know your teams don’t have time to waste. So not only are we spending our time trying to create tools that simplify your daily workflows, but we also want to make sure it’s easy for you to see any changes or improvements we are making within BIM 360.
This month we released over 14 new product enhancements that can help you speed up your daily onsite workflows, improve the way you view and analyze data at both a project and cross-project level, as well as reinforce collaboration across the entire team.
Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect
Construction projects are complex, involving many stakeholders, processes and technology platforms that each serve critical needs on a project. Enter Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect. Connect provides an out-of-the-box, no-code platform so you can create flexible integrations without relying on software engineering resources. Previously knowns as PlanGrid Connect, the platform now supports BIM 360 and BuildingConnected, in addition to PlanGrid. With Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect at the center of your connected business, you simplify and automate daily tasks and drive productivity. You can also empower decision makers with enhanced data analytics by sharing the data across the different applications used.
Synchronize key information between software tools, so it’s always at the fingertips of those who need it most. With a user-friendly, drag and drop interface to build custom workflows between a wide array of software tools, every integration can be tailored to fit your organization’s exact needs, and is automatically updated as technology platforms improve. With Connect you can build integrations between hundreds of applications in one place; connecting your critical construction workflows has never been easier.
Project Management Updates
Over the last year, the BIM 360 product team has done a ton of work to make our Project Management module even more robust and user friendly. In fact, this month alone we released some really exciting features including:
- An updated item-based submittal workflow which removes the reliance on Packages creates a clearer and more flexible workflow that enables teams to process submittals more efficiently.
- Several new RFI workflow enhancements that include an update to permissions, the ability to edit closed RFI’s as well as modify RFI pushpins. Additionally, RFI creation is now available on Android devices.
- New enhancements to the Meeting Minute feature that was released in January. These updates will allow teams to connect documents, drawings and models from the Document Management module directly to a meeting record or item. These updates also include new advance text editing capabilities giving users the ability to highlight, emphasize or organize information.
Click here to read more about these Project Management updates as well as other recent enhancements.
Data Connector Preview
Everyday construction teams are generating massive amounts of data, whether through the creation of issues or RFI’s, completing checklists, or documenting design reviews. However, understanding how to analyze all of this data can be overwhelming.
It is important for us to remember that despite the daunting task, it is critical to leverage the data being generated from our projects to better inform future decisions and improve projects success. With the preview release of Data Connector, we are thrilled to give users the ability to easily access their data so they can start understanding trends and improving the tools they use to evaluate and make decisions.
Through a single click, Data Connector allows teams to quickly extract project data from BIM 360 for customized use in other robust business intelligence tools. The Data Connector saves teams time and money by giving them a tool to extract data without needing expensive API’s or custom code as well as improving data visualizations to make more informed business decisions.
On every project, chances are that you encounter the same issues or problems over and over again. These can manifest as quality problems, human errors, equipment failures, manufacturing mistakes, and more. To repeatedly enter the same issue details is cumbersome and time-consuming. When issues are not documented correctly or with the same quality every time, it increases inaccuracy and risk, which further delays the project and raises budget.
Introducing Issue Templates for BIM 360. By creating templates for trades, punch list walkthroughs, and inspections, the way that issues are documented gets standardized across the project team. When the field team goes to create an issue, whether from the Issue Log or a drawing, they are now able to select from a list of issue templates that have been created by the Project Admin. Once a template is selected, the issue details are automatically filled in, saving them time and manual entry. Instead of entering information over again for each and every issue, the field team simply needs to fill in what is remaining such as by adding a photo or selecting the root cause.
By reducing repetitive work and automatically filling in issue details, you are able to streamline punch list walkthroughs, inspections, and quality control workflows across the entire project or the organization. As a result, projects are delivered on time and within budget.
Pin Issues to Locations
Like Issue Templates, the goal is to save the field team time and effort so that issues get resolved faster. This second feature for issue management within BIM 360 is Pin Issues to Locations, which builds upon the idea of automatically filling in the issue details.
Based on the location breakdown structure set in the Project Admin tool, when a field team member goes to drop an issue pin on the drawing, BIM 360 will automatically know what location to fill in. Not only does it save the user time, but it also leads to more accurately reported data since there’s less risk of human error.
Design Risk for Executive
We’re pleased to follow our recent Design Risk Management release with another feature to manage design risk across projects: a new Design Risk dashboard on Executive Insights. With dashboards for Quality, Safety, and Design, Executives can see how their business is doing at-a-glance and prioritize where to focus their attention.
On the Design dashboard executives will have access to three new risk prediction cards:
- Design Risk Heatmap. Leverage Construction IQ to view which projects have the highest risk due to design related issues and a breakdown of where the risk occurs.
- Approval Reviews. View total outstanding approval review by project.
- Design Issues Status by Project. View total open issues by status and by project.
By giving executives more visibility into what projects have higher design related risks, teams can start mitigating issues earlier in the process thus reducing the number of costly or time consuming RFI’s that pop up later during construction.
Having access to the most accurate and timely information is essential to any project’s success. BIM 360 gives users access to advanced reporting capabilities, whether it is creating customized reports or easily scheduling or sharing reoccurring reports with the entire team.
With today’s release, we are thrilled to bring even more enhancements to our reporting capabilities including:
- The Checklist Summary report is now available through the Insight module, allowing teams to easily schedule and share this report which was previously only available through direct download.
- The Issue Summary report is now available as an Excel download. The new report also includes Custom Attributes which was not available on the existing PDF version of this report.
Card Library Enhancements
One size does not always fit all! That is especially true when it comes to viewing and analyzing data. With the new filtering capabilities now available within the Issues cards (visible through either the Project Home or Insight modules), users are now able to drill down to view “My Company Issues” as well as filter by “Due Date” or “Status” and easily navigate to the Issues tab in Document Management through a single click on the new “Go to Issues” button.
Additionally, a new partner card is now available for Matterport. The new card will give teams visibility into 360 degree photos stored within Matterport, directly from within BIM 360.
Through BIM 360 APIs, users and partners are able to create folders in BIM 360 and publish files directly to BIM 360. A Permissions API is now available to continue streamlining the users’ workflows and increase efficiency. The new Permissions API enables BIM 360 users and partners to add read and write permissions.
Learn more about BIM 360 APIs here.
Being able to share all pertinent project files with stakeholders quickly is critical to project success. BIM 360 Document Management has now added new file sharing options, making it easier for users to share project files with anyone – whether or not they are a project member. Increase collaboration across all project stakeholders by choosing “Share with public” and customizing additional sharing options, including email or link sharing, expiration dates, and version sets.
Cost Management Integrations
Get the most out of your construction technology by integrating the software you already use with BIM 360 Cost Management. BIM 360 is built on an open and secure API platform, and Cost Management's APIs are now publicly available, allowing you to connect your data, streamline workflows and reduce double entry.
- Cost Management + Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect: Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect is an out-of-box, no-code platform that allows you to create integrations without relying on engineering resources. With Cost Management's APIs and Autodesk Construction Cloud Connect, building integrations to other applications becomes a breeze; for example, when a purchase order is created or approved in BIM 360 Cost, you can automatically generate a purchase order or invoice in your accounting system such as Quickbooks Online.
- Cost Management + Rhumbix: Rhumbix's time and materials (T&M) tracking software integrates with BIM 360 Cost Management, helping General Contractors and Subcontractors better manage their field change order process. Easily view T&M tag details (hours, time, equipment, materials, money) captured in Rhumbix within the Potential Change Order (PCO) tab in Cost Management or create new T&M tags within Rhumbix with data from Cost Management. Providing teams with a more precise understanding of the real costs of the PCO, instant visibility into the budget impacts of a PCO, and the ability to view actual vs. budget cost information.